Nuzhna,

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 16:37 -0700, Nuzhna Pomoshch wrote:

--- On Sun, 5/1/11, Jean-Francois Nifenecker <jean-francois.nifenecker@laposte.net> wrote:

*this* is strange. Are you sure you have set the correct
dictionary? Is it listed in the extensions thingy (Tools
/Extensions manager)? If not, you've won the right for a
reinstall... :)

The top entry in the extension manager is "English spelling
and hyphenation dictionaries and thesaurus 2010.03.16".

This is the auto-complete process at work (Tools /
Autocomplete menu), not the language tool.

OK.

What is the language displayed in Format / Character,
Font thumbnail, Language?

A-HA! On the working machine (mine), it is "English (USA)".
On one of the non-working machines (can't check the other
one right now), it is "English (New Zealand)" (notably
with no "ABC" and the check mark to the left of it). You
are a genius.  :)

That does lead me to ask a couple of (probably stupid)
questions. In Format / Character, what is the difference
(meaning in the format of the characters that go into the
document) between English (New Zealand) and say English
(Australia) (two countries quite close culturally with
few if any differences in language use and spelling)?

Obviously, there are some differences between the U.S.
spelling of certain words, and spelling of the same words
in other (English language countries), though I really
don't know anything about the differences between Canada
spelling and U.K. spelling and South Africa spelling and
Australia spelling. So what should I tell the other users
to do?

1. Just set the language to English (Australia), which
they won't like, but that's too bad? :)

2. Is there actually a New Zealand dictionary for them
to download and install?

3. Is there some way of telling the spell checker to
use English (Australia) with the document language set
to English (New Zealand)?

Any one of those will at least get spell check working.

Thank you again for your help.

Nuzhna

The major differences are mostly between US and UK English usage and
spelling. (Liter vs litre, favor vs favour). Most other English speaking
countries follow UK spellings and somewhat less dramatic usage
differences. Many of the usage differences would from loan words
borrowed from local languages (Bantu, Maori, Apache - US). Sometimes
Canadians will tease Americans about our bad spelling and incorrectly
calling the letter Z zee and not zed as in all other Englishing speaking
countries.

One usage difference between US and UK English - in the US you send a
letter in the mail in UK you post a letter in the mail.

In general I would probably use US or UK depending on whether most of my
work was international or US only. Most native speakers of English are
well aware of the differences and will understand the meaning, the
context should help make it clear.
--
Jay Lozier
Jslozier@gmail.com