________________________________
From: planas <jslozier@gmail.com>
To: users@libreoffice.org
Sent: Mon, 18 April, 2011 4:28:00
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: Ellison's Oracle washes hands of OpenOffice

On Sun, 2011-04-17 at 21:41 -0400, Wayne Borean wrote:

In that case, you can see where I'm leading the conversation, and why my
concept of 'Free Software Darwinism' could be really important to us, and
scary as hell to Microsoft.

Wayne

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 9:12 PM, plino <pedlino@gmail.com> wrote:

@Wayne

Being a biologist, I find your Evolution parallel quite interesting.

Answering your previous question: of course IBM has it's own flavour of
Office (based on OpenOffice in fact):  it's called IBM Lotus Symphony
http://www-03.ibm.com/software/lotus/symphony/home.nsf/products

Enjoy! ;)

deleted

Wayne

I would think some the hardware vendors would promote FOSS more. They
can benefit from the hardware sales. I can see why MS hates FOSS, they
are almost a pure software vendor and FOSS hurts their sales.

Jay Lozier
Jslozier@gmail.com

Hi :)
unfortunately hardware vendors profit from selling MS pre-installed and the more
junk they can have pre-installed the more they profit.  MS sells them special
licences to install at a discount bargain rate.  If hardware vendors put Free
Software on instead then their profit margins would be lower.

If you try to buy something with NO software on it then the hardware actually
costs more so people buy stuff that already had MS pre-installed even if they
don't want to use it and then wipe the MS stuff to install Linux or Bsd or
something.

This sounds completely mad to me.  It's one way that MS can claim such high
figures when we know that linux usage is so much higher than MS sponsored
surveys show.
Regards from
Tom :)