________________________________
From: Simos Xenitellis <simos.lists@googlemail.com>
To: users@libreoffice.org
Sent: Sun, 17 April, 2011 18:32:43
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: Ellison's Oracle washes hands of OpenOffice

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 7:15 PM, Wayne Borean <wborean@gmail.com> wrote:

Merge Open Office and Libre Office and you kill the competitive pressures
that would drive both projects to greater and greater heights. Keep them
apart, and you'll end up with projects that will quickly make Apple's IWork
and Microsoft's Office obsolete.

Anyone arguing for a merger is your greatest enemy, or a damned fool.
Competition drives innovation. If you merge with Open Office you'll be
handling Microsoft an easy victory.

The view is that OpenOffice is currently manned by Oracle employees, which
might also be out of work soon. And any community members have moved already
to the Document Foundation and LibreOffice.

We are just chatting here in this thread with the limited information
that is publicly
available.
What we should agree on is that we want what's best for LibreOffice.

Simos

Hi :)
Co-operation does drive innovation too.  OpenSource is excellent at combining
both co-operation and competition at the same time.

Many people work in both projects and there is a lot that can easily be copied
between them to help both develop faster rather than re-inventing the wheel.

I agree that it is important to have 2 projects rather than 1 but we can
re-absorb OpenOffice if that helps save them because there is other competition,
such as iWorks.  We would do well to start working with some of the competition
in mutually beneficial tasks such as formats, perhaps at Trade Shows or
Conferences to help boost each other.

Regards from
Tom :)