Right.

It would be best if they could form a separate self sustaining project.
Let's take a look at a different type of software, desktops or interfaces.

Currently we have a large number of interface projects, some closed, some
open, some mixed, on a wide variety of platforms ranging from extremely
small devices like the IPod Nano to extremely large like the Jumbotrons in
many stadiums.

These interface projects drive a wide variety of hardware, everything from
watches, MP3 players, phones, televisions, TV set top boxes, printers,
desktop/laptop computers, tablets, microwave ovens, refrigerators,
automobile entertainment systems, televisions, etc.

A large number of these projects are actually Free Software/Open Source.
Let's concentrate on the Laptop/Desktop market for now. Windows is a slowly
evolving proprietary (closed) interface. OS X is a slowly evolving mixed
interface.

All of the real competition is in the Free Software/Open Source side, where
there are a wide variety of projects, filling a wide variety of needs. We
have EDE <https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/EDE>,
Étoilé,<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/%C3%89toil%C3%A9>
LXDE <https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/LXDE>,
Mezzo,<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Mezzo_%28desktop_environment%29>
ROX <https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/ROX_Desktop>,
UDE<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/UDE>,
AfterStep, <https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/AfterStep>
Compiz, <https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Compiz>
Enlightenment,<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Enlightenment_%28window_manager%29>
KWin <https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/KWin>,
Metacity<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Metacity>,
Sawfish<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Sawfish_%28window_manager%29>,
awesome<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Awesome_%28window_manager%29>,
Blackbox <https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Blackbox>,
Fluxbox<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Fluxbox>,
FVWM <https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/FVWM>,
IceWM<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/IceWM>,
JWM <https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/JWM>,
Openbox<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Openbox>,
twm <https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Twm>,
dwm<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Dwm>,
ratpoison <https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Ratpoison>,
UWM<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/UWM_%28computing%29>,
wmii <https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Wmii>,
CDE<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Common_Desktop_Environment>,
IRIX<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/IRIX_Interactive_Desktop>,
*Xfce <https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Xfce>,
*GNOME<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/GNOME>,
and KDE<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/KDE_Software_Compilation>
.

As you may have guessed, I didn't pull the list from memory - I pulled it
from Wikipedia. The point is that the separate projects each have their own
aims and goals. Each produces different results. Each produces different
source code. Each ends up influencing the other projects, and also the
closed source projects. And they are currently evolving at a far faster pace
than the closed source projects, just like Libre Office is evolving at a far
faster pace than any other office suite, due to the competitive pressures
provided by the other projects.

Merge Open Office and Libre Office and you kill the competitive pressures
that would drive both projects to greater and greater heights. Keep them
apart, and you'll end up with projects that will quickly make Apple's IWork
and Microsoft's Office obsolete.

Anyone arguing for a merger is your greatest enemy, or a damned fool.
Competition drives innovation. If you merge with Open Office you'll be
handling Microsoft an easy victory.

Wayne aka The Mad Hatter
http://madhatter.ca

**

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Simos Xenitellis <