On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 12:33 AM, Marc Paré <marc@marcpare.com> wrote:
:

Hi Tom:

I don't believe this is the issue. It is more of a mentorship and guiding
suggestion for people joining and making use of the list. I don't believe
for a second that we would jump on newcomers and demand they follow a
list-writing protocol. However, if a member decides to make regular use of
the list(s), then, yes, there should be a gentle reminder that we have an
accepted use of bottom posting at LibreOffice. Bottom posting has been
agreed as our working model to help streamline our responses. Otherwise, our
discussions and help lists would become too hard to read.

Well said, but your advice is falling on the deaf ears of a frequent
poster who is often helpful but seems to think that his choice of how
to use other people's/groups' discussion lists trumps common courtesy
and (to anyone else) universally recognized netiquette.

When an email discussion list has posted conventions, it is not hard
to follow them if one wishes to participate in the list.  It might be
useful if, as has been said, the conventions were actually posted
somewhere, preferably in all supported languages.  If not, there's
this excellent example, which could be incorporated by reference
somewhere on TDF's sites:

with particular attention to the Technical Guidelines section.

(Note: The CentOS discussion list has similar conventions, and on both
of those lists, as well as many others I subscribe to, the regular
contributors are sticklers for following the list conventions like
proper quoting, bottom-posting, etc.)

As I've said before in other wording, if one is going to contribute by
helping others, one needs to give up one's ego about how to do it,
follow the conventions and make sure that they give the *bets* help
possible, not just what is convenient for them at the moment.
Anything else is grossly unprofessional.