On 12/08/10 15:02, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
On 08/12/2010 18:13, Craig A. Eddy wrote:

cut

Open a terminal (probably in your Applications menu, near the
bottom) and path to the directory where you've unarchived the
.tar.gz.  (cd [name of the directory]).  In the terminal type sudo
dpkg -i .deb (you can copy and paste it from this post, if you like).
It will ask for your password (same password you use to log into
Ubuntu).  It will run for a couple of minutes.  When it stops LO will
be installed and you will be back to the prompt in the terminal (The
prompt should be [your name]@[name of your computer]:~[directory
name]$ )

NOW we'll talk about that other directory in the DEBS directory,
called desktop-integration.  Path into it (cd desktop-integration)
and use the same command that you used to install the .debs before
(sudo dpkg -i .deb).  This will install the icons and menu
connections for you in Applications ->  Office.

[cut]
Why all this tedium of installing twice? sudo dpkg -iR ./DEBS from the
immediately superior directory does the same job in one go.

Peter HB

I know for OOo, you need to install the main DEBs and then need
to install the DEB menu or desktop integration file[s].  They are in
separate folders and must be done separately.

It that what you mean by installing twice?

I never seen the dpkg -iR ./DEBS terminal command before.
Of course, I have little references to the terminal in my thick
Ubuntu book.  It has been a long while I have used a command
line based command system.  It has been since PC-DOS days
for desktops and DEC and IBM mainframe days for the other
systems.  So I need to learn Ubuntu's terminal commands and
how to use them correctly.

Actually I will be backing up my files and data soon and then
wiping my Ubuntu system to re-install Ubuntu to fix some
errors that cannot be fixed in any way I know of.  backup
to an external 1 TB and then wipe the internal 1 TB and reinstall
everything.  I may drop OOo for LO at that point, if I like it
better. I should be dual booting the system with 64-bit Ubuntu
and 64-bit XP at this point so I will need to install LO on both
OSs.