On 12/08/10 13:16, Craig A. Eddy wrote:

On 12/08/2010 11:13 AM, Craig A. Eddy wrote:

On 12/08/2010 10:41 AM, webmaster@krackedpress.com wrote:

Can you have both OOo and LibreOffice installed on Ubuntu?

I know that Go-oo and OOo look the same and use the same
menu and folders for Ubuntu.  I was wondering if LibreOffice
will use a different set of folders and such so I can install it
along side OOo 3.2.1 on my Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit desktop.

I am not a "expert" with Linux so it was "hard" for me to
figure out how to get Go-oo off my system and put OOo
from OOo's web site onto my system.  It would be nice
to have OOo on Ubuntu's repository and be able to choose
which version to use.

I did read that Ubuntu was thinking about placing LibreOffice
in its repository.  I do hope that you will be able to choose
between version/branches of OOo, or be able to have both
OOo and LibreOffice installed at the same time.

So the question still is, can you have both OOo and LibreOffice
installed into Ubuntu?

Please make any instructions easy to use.
Between a stroke and my "beginner-ish" knowledge of Ubuntu [or Linux],
I need complete instructions that are easy to understand.

I'm running Debian Testing (Squeeze/Sid) and have both the repository
version of OO.o and the RC1 of LO installed on the machine.  Each has
their own DOT folder (.libreoffice and .openoffice.org) in which the
configurations are kept.

To install the .deb package(s) of LO, download the Linux .tar.gz
(LibO_3.3.0rc1_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz .  Look on the
download page near the bottom for the Debian download), place it in a
directory and unarchive it (file roller works well for this).  It
creates a directory called LibO_3.3.0rc1_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US in
which are 3 other directories.  Go to the DEBS directory and you will
see a BUNCH of .deb files and a directory (remember the directory, we'll
get back to that in a minute.

Open a terminal (probably in your Applications menu, near the bottom)
and path to the directory where you've unarchived the .tar.gz.  (cd
[name of the directory]).  In the terminal type sudo dpkg -i .deb (you
can copy and paste it from this post, if you like).  It will ask for
your password (same password you use to log into Ubuntu).  It will run
for a couple of minutes.  When it stops LO will be installed and you
will be back to the prompt in the terminal (The prompt should be [your
name]@[name of your computer]:~[directory name]$ )

NOW we'll talk about that other directory in the DEBS directory, called
desktop-integration.  Path into it (cd desktop-integration) and use the
same command that you used to install the .debs before (sudo dpkg -i
.deb).  This will install the icons and menu connections for you in
Applications -> Office.

After that, you're on your own.  You will notice that you have icons for
both LO and OO.o in Applications -> Office.  At this point, they are
pretty compatible.

Good luck

Craig
Tyche

PS:  When LO is installed, you can delete the directory you made to
unarchive the .tar.gz

Craig
Thanks.  This is the first day I am using this list and the
archive threads about Debian LO did not seem to answer the
question of having both OOo and LO installed.

I do like that fact that LO will use a different folder option
from OOo.  Go-oo uses the same as OOo and Ubuntu repository
calls Go-oo by the name of openoffice in the repository.

I want to try LO and see if I will use it over OOo and see if
I will be telling my friends and old business contacts to try
or switch to LO instead of OOo.