Howdy,

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 9:40 AM William Gathoye (LibreOffice) <
william.gathoye@libreoffice.org> wrote:

On 15/01/2020 14:45, Drew Jensen wrote:
Disabling S mode should be strongly discouraged IMO.

if users need to do so to run some software then that is a failure of the
vendor of that software to adequately care for the users security, IMO.

Most if not all users I have advised have disabled the S Mode. Most of
them are students whose apps they need are not on the Microsoft Store.

Indeed, before I read over the MS faq pages on 10 S I didn't realize S mode
was available in all of the different flavors of Windows (home, pro,
education, enterprise) but it is.

The MS Faq also makes numerous references to turning off the S Mode and
simple instructions on how to do it.

Not all companies can afford providing a specific version for stores.
This especially applies for technologies blacklisted from stores (e.g.
Java, electron, etc. for the Mac App Store) and apps with anti-piracy
features.

Yes, for instance I am unable to find a version of Java available from the
MS Store (IDK if java comes out of the box with Win 10 S, but I doubt it).
While the Python foundation has three different versions of Python
available there. (Free of charge)
Which is nice since Python is a an option for scripting LibreOffice. MS
Visual Code (which is available in the store also) works as a python IDE
with the only missing link being the APSO extension.

Anyway, there is one MS platform which only uses applications from the MS
Store and that is the Surface OS - there is no switching out to use other
software available there.

Hopefully, TDF and TDC will fix this situation in the very near future.
Widening the different channels we have to install LibreOffice is a good
way to ensure omnipresence and ease of migrations. :) And the potential
removal of the "Vanilla" mention for future TDC versions is a good way
to improve LibreOffice brand awareness.

--
William Gathoye
Hyper<hack>tive volunteer for LibreOffice