[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [libreoffice-marketing] plea to remove in-app advertising from LibreOffice
- Subject: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] plea to remove in-app advertising from LibreOffice
- From: Cor Nouws <email@example.com>
- Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 09:27:46 +0100
- To: Justin Luth <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com
Hi Justin, all,
Justin Luth wrote on 1/30/19 6:21 AM:
> Someone on ask.libreoffice.org wrote:
> “Lately, in LibreOffice 220.127.116.11 I get a nag window on top asking me to
> get involved. Are you trying to become obnoxious windows-like software?
> How do I get rid of that thing?” This succinct post is very revealing,
> and perfectly mirrors my own initial and ongoing impressions.
I do well understand that topic and your point. For me it's a sort of
little annoyance that I do pay too much attention too.
In my understanding, the bar is a step in our experimental work to get
proper attention and support for the future of the project. And surely
not putting people off, is part of that too :)
Isn't it that the user closes it with a single click?
I assume there is an setting to disable the bar at installation time?
Maybe it can be worked into a nice feature for organizations, that they
display there own message with a link to e.g. a corporate help/support
spot for the users. But ;)
I think it is interesting to get more out of the data that Mike wrote
about. With many hundreds of clicks a day, one hopes it shows up in
donations and people becoming active.
Shouldn't we try to find out how the bar is appreciated, or not, by
So, I do not really like it. But am not strongly against. And would be
interested to learn if it really does something (positive) and/or needs
to be in some other form.
GPD key ID: 0xB13480A6 - 591A 30A7 36A0 CE3C 3D28 A038 E49D 7365 B134 80A6
- vrijwilliger https://nl.libreoffice.org
- volunteer https://www.libreoffice.org
- Member Board The Document Foundation
- http://www.nouenoff.nl / https://www.mijncloudoffice.nl
To unsubscribe e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/marketing/
|[libreoffice-marketing] plea to remove in-app advertising from LibreOffice||Justin Luth <email@example.com>|
- Prev by Date: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] plea to remove in-app advertising from LibreOffice
- Next by Date: [libreoffice-marketing] FYI - made a couple of SM posts today and a custom graphic
- Previous by thread: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] plea to remove in-app advertising from LibreOffice
- Next by thread: [libreoffice-marketing] LibreOffice at Academic Informatics Conference & Free Software Winter Camp