Le 2010-10-13 20:05, Drew Jensen a écrit :
On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 17:00 -0700, Andy Brown wrote:
On Wed Oct 13 2010 16:13:08 GMT-0700 (PDT)  Marc Paré wrote:

Support links are great but most medium to large business are not going
to wait for help on a mailing list or forum, they don't have the time.
That is what I see the 'ads' pointing to.  Basically that if you use
open source the instant support, like a help desk, is not there.  It is
not there and can not be at no cost to the end user.  The OOo site was
links to paid support but I have no idea how often it was used.

Hi Andy,

There was a presentation on just this subject at this years OOoCon - not
sure if it is available as a video somewhere - yes it is an issue and we
really need to deal with it, IMO.

Drew

No better time than now. We should make sure that the user support links on our webpages are clearly well placed and visible. How about reviewing this right now? Let's take a look at where the links are and if they need new placement, let's do it now.

We should use this video to analyse the main complaint -- support and show how wrong it is.

We should all be on the user support mailist (yes I am on it) to assure quality and familiar support to users. Nothing better than a familiar face.

We will also need something similar to "corporate support" (maybe set this up in the very near future) with help with devs who could trouble shoot networked installs of LibO distro. Again, here, familiar faces count for a lot.

I have been part of many school board It committees examining the use OpenOffice installs and this is one of the main reasons/complaints behind not adopting the distro. For some reason the view is that the OpenOffice support is inferior to anything else, even if the help tickets going to MS Office product lines take 2-3 days to get back to you -- not only that, but this poor support is actually paid support.

I happen to think/know that the Ooo user support online is one of the best support services anywhere. Very few support systems free or paid can come close to it. We just advertise this and make good on it.

Support will sell the concept.

Marc