[Editted version of the one I posted on the Board mailing list by accident; thanks for reminders :-]

Official Edition is really confusing. Which suggests there is also a Unofficial edition. A copycat fork? Or are those LTS releases powered by clones, trying to make a profit from TDF LibreOffice

I also find it hard to differentiate between 'branch' and 'edition'
LibreOffice by TDF build base ond they 'latest' branch. While LTS being somewhat more 'conventional'. Whereas Edition being mostly about variants of the same thing. So Standard and Professional Edition. Both look the same, but Professional has more features. OK, there are some marketing stunts, where same stuff gets sold with different labels (thinking about fertilizers) with different prices.
But that's they exception and feels like deception.

Sometimes I tend to 'drop' the explicit mentioning of 'Edition'.
Does it really need explicit 'Edition' to be called edition when materially an edition?

So the website/wiki etc LibreOffice is promoted as Latest supplied/ made available by TDF. LibreOffice simply called LibreOffice. Prominently being presented as based on a 'rolling' release model/framework which might be more unstable, with a 'fixed' snapshot schedule. So we tag it 7.0.2 for differentiation purposes (bug tracking/communication). But snapshot 'of rolling' Without explicitly guaranteeing 7.0.3 to be better compared to 7.0.2. It often is, but not all they time.
Take current 7.0.2 bit a of a calculation disaster compared to 7.0.1
So would advocate a more or less Debian Development model. Rolling model with Cycles (smaller incremental) large major updates. Where LibreOffice LTS powered by being framed a still/stable editions for more 'conventional usage'

Note also they distinction by 'powered' and 'supplied' or 'made available' which more passive, compared to powered. TDF simply builds the 'latest' branch, doesn't do much development by itself.

And to make 'LTS' bit more attractive.. drop the whole stable/still edition at TDF. People using LibreOffice should be on 'rolling'. If they dislike that they can dig in they archive reprository to find some older version. Also, users don't have to upgrade. But TDF doesn't need to have serve barely supported 'still'. Which being a kind of LTS light.

Where as the still branch never had a proper reputation (at least in my world). I mostly pick fresh (or even master).

Replace that with a 'LTS story' powered by.. It cheap enough to be bought by regular users. So or they contribute by being in the 'rolling' - permanent improving/regressing testing version. Or opt for the more reliable, older and paid LTS. And we could put a note how to dig up they last release in a cycle. However not to be communicated actively as 'stable'.

LibreOffice Rolling (made available by TDF) and LibreOffice LTS powered by XX
With same additional text in about box they Rolling release about LTS
And communication about they rolling release cycle concept

Maybe is made available or distributed by TDF better compared to supplied.
As it points out TDF not being directly responsible for the code itself,
or at least that there is something more to it.

What I personally conceive is a mess if of course 'powered by'. There are two or more LTS versions :-( And I assume there are some difference between CIB <-> Collabora (except the name), but I'm surely not knowing what that should be. I mean it, I really don't know! Between LibreOffice and Powered Editions I can get it. But even that - LibreOffice by partners being more mature (or older) editions - not that obvious. Is CIB better compared to Collabora? Or visa versa? Is there no difference, but why two versions? I'm still confused here. As a user I would think, did I buy the right one. [Looking at it regular user perspective; as they Editions being sold in app stores to general public too]

Regards,
Telesto

Some other editions I made up in a brainstorming session (some are awful)
LibreOffice Regular Edition by TDF
LibreOffice Common Edition
LibreOffice Fresh Edition
LibreOffice Feature-rich Edition
LibreOffice Innovation Edition
LibreOffice Innovative Edition
LibreOffice Novel Edition
LibreOffice State of the Art Edition
LibreOffice Progress Edition
LibreOffice Progressive Edition
LibreOffice Advancement Edition
LibreOffice Latest Edition [problem older editions 'show' latests.. which isn't the case]
LibreOffice Active Edition
LibreOffice Modern Edition
LibreOffice Snapshot edition
LibreOffice Rolling Edition