Rajesh, Kannan, Chandrakant,

Le Fri, 2 May 2014 12:50:49 -0700 (PDT),
Rajesh Ranjan <rajeshkajha@yahoo.com> a écrit :

On Friday, May 2, 2014 11:30 PM, Charles-H. Schulz
<charles.schulz@documentfoundation.org> wrote:
Rajesh, Kannan, Chandrakant,

This is getting interesting :-)

May I suggest we work this in two "streams"?
- check who is currently working on Indic langages localizations,
what localization of constitutionally recognized language is
currently missing and who may work on it

Here is the list who is who of Indian libreoffice l10n as per the
language team list :-)

Assamese - Nilamdyuti Goswami
Bengali (India) - Sankarshan/Runa
Bodo - Sanjib Narzary
English - Stuart Swales
Gujarati - Ankit Patel
Hindi - Rajesh Ranjan
Kannada - Vikram Vincent/Shankar Prasad
Maithili - Sangeeta Kumari
Malayalam - Manu Unni V G
Marathi - Sandeep Shedmake
Nepali - Saaz Rai
Oriya - Manoj Kumar Giri
Punjabi - A S Alam
Tamil - Ve. Elanjelian
Telugu - Arjuna Rao Chavala/Krishnababu Krothapalli
Urdu - Khunshan Shabbir

Cool, thanks! It is an impressive list to be sure.

On status page, all languages' translation are present though
language teams are for only for the ^^ mentioned names. Teams need to
be created for the following: Dogri, Kashmiri, Konkani, Manipuri,
Sanskrit, Santali, Sindhi. Chandrakant is eager to push the
translation for these languages. Probably the previous translations
done for openoffice (possibly by c-dac) are here with libreoffice.

yes, although it depends on what happened with how active the people
were in 2010-2011 though.

Through English is not in official 22, but I have added en-GB as well
as this is one official language and its important in India is not
less. So for overall promotion purpose we can count this language
also.

good point.

- on this mailing list, discuss and define a few concrete actions
to raise LibreOffice awareness in India and improve its
distribution.

Sure...I have not any problem start discussing here right now but
would like to come here with inputs from other languages' team
maintainers and possibly after a face-to-face cum irc meeting with
the people mentioned from lo team. This will be a inclusive view and
would be more helpful to work for the plan decided here on the on the
mailing list later.

What do you think?

Hope this is okay?

Absolutely yes. Kannan has already explained the kind of wonderful work
they're doing on their side. Not knowing the Indian field reality
myself, I suggest you could discuss or even answer the following
questions:
- how do we raise brand awareness on LibreOffice in India
- are there specific approaches we can take to promote and have people
  download LibreOffice? Is the distribution of physical supports
  (cd-roms, usb keys) a better way ?
- LibreOffice is meant for pretty much everyone, but do we have to
  target a key population at first?
- LibreOffice is a community too: can we attract volunteers,
  developers, localizers, QA testers, documentation writers?
- let's run a local , small scale event somewhere in India and see who
  shows up. Repeat these events around the country.

Last but not least: do organize an IRC meeting or a physical meeting. I
think it's important.

What do you think?

best

Charles.