Le Fri, 21 Feb 2014 11:03:43 -0800,
Jonathon <toki.kantoor@gmail.com> a écrit :

On February 21, 2014 6:30:41 AM PST, Jay Lozier wrote:

When I read the article I got the sense of MS FUD claiming that
people  "need" proprietary MS formats to be efficient.

In one sense, MS is being "truthful". There is a huge ecosystem built
around Microsoft's file formats: CRM, ERP, and similar software.
However, there is nothing preventing the companies that create that
software from also supportingt ODF in their products. (NOTE: I am
assuming that Microsoft has not forced those vendors to sign
contracts that prohibit them supporting non-Microsoft file formats.
Given Microsoft's history, such a prospect is possible.)

A second datapoint is that the major a11y vendors do not include
support for FLOSS in the offerings.  (Two of the biggest vendors have
flat out promised that their software will never work correctly with
FLOSS program.)

I also sensed that MS is very concerned about losing the European
market  to FOSS and open standards/formats.

Microsoft's issue with Europe is that unlike BRICS, bribes are more
likely to have the company put into goal, than achieve the desired
outcome.

governments believing they are doing the bidding of the US NSA.

Any government that relies on any software produced by a foreign
firm, is a government that is subjecting itself to known security
flaws.

Thank you everyone for your comments that have at the moment not helped
the UK Gov make up its mind :-)
May I suggest to everyone who'd like to help or express his/her views
to post them directly on the UK Government Consultation website? That's
where it'll have the most impact. Over here we're just preaching to the
choir.

Thank you,

--
Charles-H. Schulz