On February 21, 2014 6:30:41 AM PST, Jay Lozier wrote:

When I read the article I got the sense of MS FUD claiming that people  "need" proprietary MS
formats to be efficient.

In one sense, MS is being "truthful". There is a huge ecosystem built around Microsoft's file
formats: CRM, ERP, and similar software.   However, there is nothing preventing the companies that
create that software from also supportingt ODF in their products. (NOTE: I am assuming that
Microsoft has not forced those vendors to sign contracts that prohibit them supporting
non-Microsoft file formats. Given Microsoft's history, such a prospect is possible.)

A second datapoint is that the major a11y vendors do not include support for FLOSS in the
offerings.  (Two of the biggest vendors have flat out promised that their software will never work
correctly with  FLOSS program.)

I also sensed that MS is very concerned about losing the European market  to FOSS and open
standards/formats.

Microsoft's issue with Europe is that unlike BRICS, bribes are more likely to have the company put
into goal, than achieve the desired outcome.

governments believing they are doing the bidding of the US NSA.

Any government that relies on any software produced by a foreign firm, is a government that is
subjecting itself to known security flaws.
--
Your language. Your documents. Your way.