On 02/21/2014 09:30 AM, Jay Lozier wrote:

On 02/21/2014 06:04 AM, Marc Paré wrote:
Article title says it all. You can find it here:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/387199/microsoft-government-switch-to-open-source-will-cause-dissatisfaction

Not sure if we need to post a rebuttal argument in the response section or retaliate with an article disputing MS arguments.

When I read the article I got the sense of MS FUD claiming that people "need" proprietary MS formats to be efficient. Reading between the lines I also sensed that MS is very concerned about losing the European market to FOSS and open standards/formats. If national governments move away from MS, those doing business with the government are likely to follow and this will percolate country wide. If European governments and businesses are hostile to MS this will have an effect on international businesses.

Ultimately MS faces two choices: adopt open standards/formats and open source their products or face resistance due to people, companies, and governments believing they are doing the bidding of the US NSA.

I do not think making MS Office open source will be done, but the true support of the open document formats [ODF] will be a good step for them to take, and it should have been done when ODF became THE International Office file format standard. They did not like the fact that their OOXML format did not become it.

MS and its public relations with European countries and businesses seems to extend back over 10 years. It seemed to me that MS thought their "control" over the office suite market gave them the right to force the users to do and except anything that MS tells them to do, buy, and accept, what an office package can be use for and needed for in the users businesses and homes.

At one point, after MSO 2007 came out, our Library of Congress started publishing documents in the .docx format. Since their mandate was to allow these files and documents be freely accessible to the public. They had to republish those documents to .doc since there was a cry saying that to get the freely accessible files you had to buy a new office package, and that makes it not free and places money into MS's pocket as "ransom" to get our government's documents. Europe seems not to be as easy going with MS's antics as the US is.

So MS may be feeling the loss of money from Europe as a threat to their company's core business. So they attack the FOSS movement for open formats in office suites. The insist that if you do not use our proprietary formats then you cannot do proper business with each other. Well, business is getting along with ODF just fine. If the businesses need to use an MS format, then they may go back to pre-OOXML ones, which most FOSS office suites seem to work with very well. But, since more and more International businesses are moving away from proprietary formats and using the International Standard - ODF - then MS should just do the right thing and fully support ODF as well. Then the file format issue will not be an issue in the fight to keep their office suite market share.

YES, FUD is a weapon that MS loves to use. But the real problem for MS will not go away if they do not act like all their "suggestions" are a "commandment from the god of the computer world". The US NSA is not as bad as MS in trying to force people to do what they want, but the NSA is more covert in their efforts. But NSA vs. MSO is like comparing apples and oranges. So, it should not be part of the description of what MS is doing in the office suite market.