Le mardi 04 septembre 2012 à 10:48 -0400, Marc Paré a écrit :
Le 2012-08-30 18:34, Jean Weber a écrit :
On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 8:42 PM, Marc Paré<marc@marcpare.com>  wrote:

Unfortunately, we are in great need of community building strategies, which
is where our success rate is quite slim. We need to work on this and make it
a concerted effort on all of our lists (global and language lists).

Totally agree. I'm trying to organise my notes and thoughts from CLS
(Community Leadership Summit), which I attended in July. I was mainly
looking for ideas that might work for expanding the Docs team, but
most of what was covered should be relevant to other segments of the
community. My interests, as you all know, are in marketing and user
services, not coding: support, training, user docs, and certification
of people working in those areas. IMO the places where we might find
new community members for those areas are not the same places where we
look for developers. More on that topic later!

--Jean

I also have some thoughts of community building on the project. Some of
my main thoughts are that the TDF/LibreOffice project has managed to
impress all of the opensource community for its quick rise to success
with its amazing product "LibreOffice". However, and this is where IMO
we are running into problems, the complement of devs and its rise in
numbers has far outstripped the TDF membership number of contributors.
While a strong dev participation is a good measure of an opensource
project's health, the problem facing the TDF is its
web/wiki/documentation/QA/design/marketing infrastructures. In other
words, the community building aspect of the project has definitely not
been one of the TDF's (our) success stories.

I believe the TDF should re-focus some of its energies and strategies on
community building in order to address the need for contributor help in
maintaining the QA and public face of the project. The stress of
contributor is quite apparent in major sections of the project; help is
needed in QA (this should be front and centre for recruitment of help in
QA (localization help as well); website management (desperately needed
at the localized level) as well as the global site -- important as this
is the public face of the project; design; marketing etc. Simply said
the number of contributor help has not kept pace with the number of dev.
contributors. One can easily count the number of active contributors to
realize that there are simply too few for the amount of needed work and
these contributors' activity is often stretched beyond reasonable limits.

The TDF/LibreOffice project should really be seen as a two-pronged
project: a product developed by devs (along with QA/Design) and a
product marketed and supported (Web/Wiki/Doc/marketing etc) by its
membership. This is where, through community building, TDF would try
address the need for help with the project. At this point, the devs seem
to be "humming" along at a great and cooperative speed; where the need
is really required is in the support-contributor group.

Just my initial thoughts on this for now.

+1. A big plus one. And just to add something to this: I think many, if
not all the BoD is aware of this. I would not hesitate to call this the
challenge of 2012 and 2013.

Best,
Charles.

Marc Paré