I can see the point but "uncountable" tends to be used to mean infinite rather than just an
ever-changing number.  Also that draws too much attention to some of the fears that mainstream
people have of voluntary projects, ie that they are unreliable and can't be trusted.

I think keep "thousands" even though it might be inaccurate.  There probably are tons more, as Cor
seems to be suggesting, but it keeps it within mainstreamer's limited understanding of the way
things work.  Once they become more familiar with OpenSource projects they might begin to see how
it is possible to run such a vast project as LO and how people are assets (even ones that disagree
with each other) rather than troublesome irritations.