The list seems to be the way people know or use the OSs.
Windows have the biggest market. Windows users know about Mac systems. Most Windows users do not know what "Linux" is, and some Mac users may be that way as well. I do not know if there are more Mac users than any other OS based on a "flavor of Linux", so I do not think they should be switched.

So Windows, then Mac, then finally Linux. I keep forgetting about what GNU actually means. I forget such things "a lot". Still I do not think many non-technical Windows users would want to use LO if Windows was was after Mac or Linux. That is just a psychological and marketing issue. So Windows goes first, then Mac, then Linux.

For those of us who grew to hate Windows and now do not use it for their default systems, I see what you mean by putting Linux first. I have only a few friends and associates that use Linux or Mac. Most of them use Windows. Plus most of them use Vista. Vista is what made me hate Windows. It was an OS that should not have been put out, just like Windows ME. Win7 is what Vista should have been, according to all the tech articles I have read about Win7 before it came out. Of course Win8 is made for the tablet industry and "can be made to work" for the desktop and laptop market, though MS seems to think that those two markets are dead.

Actually, I hope someone will make a version of LO that will work on a Android 2.2 tablet, but 256-MB RAM and a few gigs of flash drive storage does not make it easy to make a fully functional office package. I wonder how well Android's OfficeSuitePro reads/writes .docx and .xltx files?