On 14 September 2011 17:55, David Nelson <lists@traduction.biz> wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
I know that
the PostgreSQL developers are interested in closer integration with OOo
from
direct talks with them and we will be looking at this in more detail and
we
have realistic chances of getting significant funding resources.

This sounds like one possible good move for LibreOffice: Base as as a
front end and PostgreSQL as the engine at the back. That way, we only
have to provide a decent, reliable front end, and we have a
well-supported database engine. Although I would not like to give up
on the possibility of supporting other databases, too.

I don't think there would be any restriction on the backend - for a start
the development would be FOSS so even if adjustments were needed it would be
doable. Generally you would want to connect to the database in a standard
way so that changes in the database development didn't affect the front-end.

I think the PostgreSQL guys have traction in markets that need other office
productivity tools so it makes sense for them to get seamless integration
with OOo/LibO. If it is done with OOo with Apache licensing it can be
re-used by LibO and there will be little developer overhead for LibO. I
should think that is the most likely scenario since I met those developers
at an Apache Bar Camp. The grants to fund development will take at least a
year to come on-line so this won't be a quick fix, but it has the chance of
being a substantial and sustainable one.

Although if I
had to make a pragmatic choice between badly-implemented complexity of
support for multiple engines and well-implemented support for just one
engine, I'd choose the latter.

Although, like Tom, I'd love to see TDF get something moving with
Google (one of our supporters, no?) and work on Google Docs
integration.

Charles, could we maybe get some technical opinions from Michael and
Thorsten about the feasibility of the above ideas? Michael, Thorsten,
could you maybe explain to us what the problems and prerequisites
would be for the above?

--
David Nelson

deleted