How about Malta?

The nation is not so strict on VISA applications, and we now have biometric passports, which is great for the US and Aussies, Malta is also a Schengen country meaning most nations may not even need to show a passport to enter, our goverment is working on bringing International IT communities and companies to Malta (namely for smartcity and its SMARTplan), hence i think, that if you do choose Malta, we need to write a document to declare where the event will be and roughly how many member may be coming, that way the Maltese government could update its embassies for a faster issue of visa.

not only that there are alot of low cost airlines to the Maltese islands, besides that if you manage to organize for may,june you may be in the week of the ISLE of MTV, now i know we're all serious about the project, but we could mix in some fun?

in case its for the same time next year there is always the Maltese night life in Saint Julian's, how ever i do suggest a more summer month for the fact that Malta would have lots of nationalities here for learning English, cultural studies and much more.

Besides that we have a very rich history, and this event may also be sponsored by the government, should the TDF like to make an agreement with the government on Office software.

here's a list of local OSS groups:

ossmalta.com - which is mine
Linux.org.mt - which i am a member of since its the Malta Linux User group - though i use more windows for adobe products oss.org.mt - Goverment of malta open source end user group (i know a mouth full of a name)

--

Warren Camilleri <warren@ossmalta.com>
Founding Member of The Open Source Society Malta community