Hello Paulo,

Paulo de Souza Lima wrote on 2011-05-10 03.21:

The websites itself? No. Domains? maybe. Until the NGO is not completely
undone (legaly talking...) the domains are safe. Once the NGO is competely
over, the domain must be transfered to another NGO (and it MUST be an NGO,

as said, I talked to our ISP, and they offer a trustee service for Brazilian domains, so we can transfer the domain to someone holding it for TDF. I will verify again with them based on the information you gave me (NGO needed), but in case that's indeed possible, wouldn't it be the best solution, to have the domain names independent from one entity?

not a person or a private company). I suppose that ALTA could "kindly" offer
to do that, but if you decide it it will be a proof that TDF members are not
reliable for Brazilian Community. Sorry for these words, but it's the crude
truth.

I am happy to make a trustee contact with one of the Brazilian non-profit organizations, in case our provider does not offer a trustee service for .org.br domain names. I am also happy to show that trustee contract to the public then -- so there should be no risk for anyone, whether it's ALTA or another entity.

migration to TDF websites. As I stated before, personally, I really don't
care who will own libreoffice.org.br domain name. And I think people in the
community doesn't care at all. But.... as I said before: giving the

I heard something different about that. I heard that the libreoffice.org.br domain cannot be given to us or put under TDF control, and I even read that some people are to hand out e-mail addresses @libreoffice.org.br. So, I am glad that you don't care who will own that domain name, but it seems not everyone shares that.

ownership to the people who are threatening us will be a shame and an
insult.

Does the German association, that at the moment legally represents TDF until it is a legal entity by itself, threat you? If not, I guess you have no objections to us having a trustee contract with our provider to host the domain names, or if that is not possible, with any of the Brazilian NGOs. As said, I am happy to show that trustee contact in public then. Are there any objections to that?

But, yet, my first question is not answered: Why North American Community
can use the brand in their domain name and Brazilian Community can't? This
is a real strage behavior.

I'll reply to that in your other mail soon.

And I have another question: Will we be allowed to use that brand in our
magazine, once it's a real contribution to Libreoffice marketing?

We have a trademark policy in place that has been discussed and agreed upon in public, with everyone being able to contribute: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TradeMark_Policy

So, legally spoken, you need permission to do so, but in general, I personally have no objection. If the project is introduced to the list, with everyone from the Community being able to join, so it's not a closed group, and it follows our open, transparent and meritocratic principles: Of course. You should formally ask as described in the Trademark Policy, but I have a feeling you might get a positive reply. :-)

It is not about keeping all legal assets just for "us". "Us" is the Community, we decide together on how to use these, in the - you get it - open, transparent and meritocratic process. That decision is independent from individuals, and that's exactly why TDF has been set-up. We want to be independent, and be able to host all assets for the Community.

Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108