On 04/03/2011 19:41, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions wrote:
[...]

Thanks Marc. It would be a good marketing aspect if LibreOffice can
state that they are working towards making their package as accessible
as possible for all users, including those who have special
accessibility needs.

I wonder if any of the Voice-to-Text packages like "Dragon" that is
advertised on TV works with LibreOffice.

From what I know Dragon Naturally Speaking was working with OpenOffice.org. I don't know yet with LibreOffice.

 If LibreOffice is known to work
with some of these packages [Microsoft had a free one once], then it
could be stated as well. Whatever can be stated that makes LibreOffice
easy to use [especially easier than MSO] would be an advantage. This
package is not "completely" supporting .docx and other of the newest MSO
file formats, but hopefully that will become better supported. Stating
it can read/write Word .doc and Excel .xlt files works for my clients
when I do computer support. I still get/use those types of files and
templates and even though I save my copies to ODF formats, I send them
on as MSO files to those who have not yet switched due to "agency" IT
policies. Many of these agencies are those who support the needs of the
disabled/impaired individuals, both adult and youth.

The issue we get is that we lack of feedback about what software works or not. I'm on two lists dedicated to visually impaired people (one is located in France the other in Belgium) to get this feedback but they are mostly Linux users.

I have a statement on the demo site for the Americas DVD project.
[quote]
LibreOffice supports a large number of file formats, including the
following:

Open Document Format [ODF], Microsoft® Office file formats, HTML,
WordPerfect, Rich Text Format, Lotus formats, Office Open XML, along with
many other word processor, database, spreadsheet, image/drawing, and
other formats used for personal and business needs.
[unquote]

It seems that there are over 80 lines in the open file type option in
the initial screen. It may be a good idea to list out all these
supported files some place on the distribution DVDs when you give
information about what file formats LibreOffice can read and those it
can write as. It may be something that could be given out on a sheet or
brochure with the CD/DVD copy of LibreOffice. I am thinking about that
myself. If there is something like that already made, it would be easier
than me making one up.

But back to the Accessibility issue. It would be nice to be known as an
organization the cares about the needs of better accessibility for
software packages. Though it is a small market group, it seems to be
good press. And the more good press LibreOffice gets, the better it is,
Right?

You're right. If we could have more feedback on the different tools, their versions, etc and how they connect with LibreOffice it would be good too. I've made a FAQ in French for OpenOffice.org [1] that I'll port to LibreOffice. If somebody wants to translate it in English, it would be great because I won't have the time to do it before months. Also it should be maintained and enhanced, it's not done currently.

[1]http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/FR/FAQ/Accessibilite

Kind regards
Sophie