two recent contests that I saw produce good designs include
1) To create an international symbol for the Indian currency (Rupee) similar to the Dollar Mark $:
This was run in India and saw the creation of a new design, which has attracted strong opinions,
both for and against, from everyone here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_rupee

2) Artwork by an 11 year old in India for a Google4Doodle competition
I believe that this got more attention mainly because of the artist's capabilities.
But it did get strong publicity in India, a very large market for Google.
http://www.hindu.com/2010/11/14/stories/2010111461620100.htm

IMHO,
the logo for the product/brand should come from professional artists after a detailed discussion
and analysis.
Once the logo is in place, and branding and marketing communications begin,
TDF could use a logo competition for publicity and marketing.
This competition could happen in the summer of 2011, when school is out.

thanks
Dhiren Jani
Gujarat, India