Le 2010-10-28 13:24, Anthony Papillion a écrit :

The marketing angle could be:
"LibreOffice: Upgrade from MSO 2003 with full compatibility and no
retraining costs."

People would come over in droves.

I like this! That would be definitely good idea. We are not bad mouthing MSO and we are offering ourselves as natural upgrades from MSO 2003. Neat! We are the upgrade option for the MSO 2003 orphins who were left behind and ignored.

Wow, this thread has been really busy! Nice ideas!

My take on all of this is we should try to get adoption where it counts the most. If we can get kids to adopt the distro, well then they will have their parents interested who will get their employers interested who will then get their IT interested ... and then we could take over THE WORLD! From what I can see there are really 2 groups:

===============

For the younger members and regular users, we need to make the distro snazzy. We need:

* make the menus themable -- if you are a younger user, a menu theme which offers less buttons (all the rest are still available of course); if you are a church member user then a menu theme that would reflect the most used buttons for these members; if you are a business member, then a menu theme for buttons best for this member; if you are a teenager, then a menu theme with perhaps added buttons to social networking items. etc.

* templates should be constructed in such a way that when a member chooses a menu theme category, the templates that are compatible with the menu category would be installed for the member.

* we need to make the distro "persona" compatible with the Firefox personas, they are already made on the net, they are OSS and MSO would not be able to use them due to the nature of most OSS viral licences (we would still need to look into this)

* we need to have different cool contests for teenagers / junior grade students and have competitions of some sort at the city/state (province)/national levels. Get the kids involved and create some buzz for our LibO product. Very important to get teachers interested in these contests and make these very high profile in the media.

* have a snazzy LibO on-line store with cool T-shirts and cool products. LibO chewing gum and the whole kit.

For the serious users, we need:

* a serious menu theme option (the menu options would be built on consultation with the college/university/researcher/business/SOHO/legal/dev etc. members)

* bibliographic / endnotes plugins (they have clamoured for this for quite some time now. How many more years should go by before we take notice?)

* have LaTex compatibility! for mostly the university/research members. This would really sell the LibO suite to this group. They are really interested in FOSS and not really MSO which is why they are using LaTex.

* serious templates (in consultation with the same groups) Encourage these groups to share their templates

* same snazzy LibO store, they and we are all geeky over LibO

*ODF compatibility and PDF compatibility