Hello,

Yes, Bulgarian is also one of those inflected languages that require
different translations to the same English phrase depending on the context.
If we lose msgctxt, we must have another way to separate different
instances of the same English phrase. Years ago at my workplace, we had
this problem with an in-house l10n system and AFAIR we circumvented it by
including the context in the original translatable string where necessary
and then removing it in a small English ‘translation’, something like this:

Original: Number|noun
English translation: Number
Bulgarian translation: Номер

Original: Number|menu_item
English translation: Number
Bulgarian translation: Номериране

Original: Settings
English translation: <same as the original, so not included in the l10n
file>
Bulgarian translation: Настройки

So this could be a fallback if the new system does not support a
context/instance id separate aside from the translatable text itself. UI
code can also automatically strip the part after the escaping character,
thus eliminating the need for an English ‘translation’.

Hi,

While I appreciate the ingenuity of this approach, it would be utter
stupidity to replace a well-working implementation with msgctxt with such a
system in a l10n project the size of LibO :)

Best, Mihkel