I think the different licenses across products might be a problem. But not an expert.

On the whole, I'm not sure if the packaging is actually the biggest stumbling block for the end user but the actual installation/implementation. Some are very easy, like Mozilla or LO, you just get the file and it either auto-installs or you click it. Others, like Trados, you have to find the folder for the dic file, you have to manually add (if it's not bundled) the locale to an XML file ... and pray it works. Others, like Chrome, you can't actually add a spellchecker for a language that Google hates.

Though perhaps if there was a central place on the web for all these so there's a single place where devs could point their software for grabbing Hunspell dictionaries that might make things easier. I'd be all up for that but it would probably end up an exercise in herding cats. Maybe forking existing dictionaries might be worth considering, if the owners are either non-communicative or not interested?

Michael

Sgrìobh Dennis Roczek na leanas 25/04/2016 aig 11:13:
The manual work of packaging the extension is very time consuming and
moreover leads to situations that there might be multiple maintained
versions for the same language. By providing tools to create a new
version of the dictionary the maintainer can invest their time in
improving the dictionary and release easily more often a new version.

I'm eager to hear what do you thing about this idea.