IMO bad quality of English strings can be improved by having some l10m teams work on Master (and
spotting these bad strings early enough), and that is being discussed in parallel.

Also, perhaps requiring string reviews on patches with new or changed strings could be an option.
I'm pretty sure we could find someone to gladly do these reviews within the community. :-)

Rimas