Hi :)
This is just my opinion and i don't know enough about the rules to be
able to explain it more clearly than by example ...

I think it depends on context.  Either could be correct imo.

In the 1st case, "Interpret stream data as", suggests that the main
chunk of text (or whatever) to be interpreted probably contains stuff
from a mixture of sources.  Any bits that are from the "stream" should
be handled differently from the rest of it.

So data in the main body might be a variety of animals and the
standing order might be to name them individually (fox, rabbit, hen,
bear).  However the order "Interpret stream data as "fish"" would
result in all the different sorts of fish, water snakes, diving ducks
all as just "fish".

It's saying that there will probably be a lot of instances of "data"
and all the "data" that came from 1 source should be handled
differently from the rest of the data.

In the 2nd case, "Interpret data stream as", it's suggesting that the
entire body of stuff is going to be all the stuff from the stream and
only from the stream.  It's really talking about 1 single object and
that is the data-stream.  (i'd tend to put a hyphen in there just to
try to make it clearer).

Does that seem about right and make any sense?  I could be waaay off-track here.
Regards from
Tom :)