Hello Tom, *,
On Sonntag, 13. Oktober 2013 12:54 Tom Davies wrote:
I tend to dislike "must not" too.  It's soo authoritarian that it
makes me want to go against it or to find out why not by
experimentation.  I prefer things like; should avoid try not to
please don't
it's worth avoiding ...  because ...
and other such less definite equivalents.  Even better is if you
can flip it around to say the positive instead.

just out of interest (as you have not written something about it):
What is usually used in English?

3.  Looks clunky.  I do prefer the 3rd way of writing it but can
now see the problem that Sophie was trying to avoid.  Perhaps
<quote> There should not more than one entry with the same
contents in the help directory because it will break the index
display in the help UI. </quote> Perhaps instead of "contents" it
might be better to use another word such as; text, value, errr i
can't think of others but maybe Anne-ology might know a much
better choice.

Than I would prefer "with the same text" ... ;)

In 5 & 6 i agree with Sophie.  It is less elegant but is less
likely to create confusion.  When a number of tags get combined
(as in "-rin") it almost looks like a word that might need to be
translated whereas separately they are clearly tags/options.
People probably wouldn't try to translate "-r -i -n".

Just out of interest: Why would you translate parameters, options
(and the like) of an command (or the name of it itself)?

There are tags that are entire words and those might need
translating,

Why? Usually the command itself as well as its parameter, options
and the like are – IIRC – never translated. It is something
completeley different with its help, manpages, info and the like,
but I may be wrong here ... ;)

for example with the rsync command there is
"--partial" and "--progress" but a)  Those have a double "-" sign
b)  Only translate if the under-laying OS is in a non-English
language and only if the particular command has been translated
There are too many ifs there so it's probably worth avoiding those
sorts of tags

On my system (Debian Testing AMD64), neither of them is translated.
Also its help text is in English here, although I have installed
with locale "de_DE.UTF-8" ... ;)

7  "Escape character" might be written as "escaping character"
without changing the meaning.  The grammar of the sentence might
require an "ing", or else the term would need to be defined.  Devs
and coders might have a more precise meaning for the term but i
think the usage is sufficiently close and is readily understood by
normal users without explanation.

O.K.

General notes

It is good to learn about built-in help available on the
command-line and easy to look-up without going off and opening a
web-browser but i agree with Sophie that it is all really a
subject for other books and faqs and there are plenty of them
already!  People still don't know all about all this and there is
no reason they should.  I hadn't known of "info" until this post
so thanks for that! :)

You are welcome :)

I generally use "--help" or "-h" to get a

Me too, but sometimes it is not that informative or misses some "use
case" examples ... And then I find "man $program" or "info program"
faster than switching to another workspace, start a browser (or if
it is started already, to open a new tab) ... ;)

<snip>
The "man" pages give a LOT more detail but it's awkward to keep
them open while typing on the command-line itself (unless you open
it in a new windows or tab).

This is, how I do it: Try $program in one tab of konsole and if I
want to know something, I press <Ctrl>+<shift>+<T> to open a new
tab, enter "man $program" (or "info $program"), read through it (or
if I want to do something special, then I press "/" to search the
manpage, enter – say I want to find out, if it is possible to copy
something – "copy" and read it there ... ;)

Also it took me ages to realise that
it was a "vi" editor and that i could escape by using
:q

He he, reminds me on my first experiences with the command line ...
;)

before that i was a bit stuck because even "Ctrl c" wouldn't get
me back to the command-line and i'd have to close the "terminal
console" / "command-prompt window".  Now i know about ":q" it's
easier for me.

And do not forget ":wq" to save before closing ... ;)

<snip>
Anyway, nicely done!  Especially with 3.  That was a good catch :)

Thank you :)
Thomas.

<Rest snipped and TOFU removed, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Top-posting>

--
Basically my wife was immature. I'd be at home in the bath and she'd
come in and sink my boats.