Exactly... for what it worth, leting the software define shortcuts may lead do inconsistencies among versions and disrupt users already used to the old shortcuts. I expect some rants from them.

Unfortunately, the best way is to manually define each shortcut, dialog by dialog.

Now, since this is very cumbersome, a tool to map each dialog with pootle file/section is a must.

Regards
Olivier