On 4/11/2018 10:46 AM, Jean-Pierre Ledure wrote:
Le 10/04/18 à 22:36, Wols Lists a écrit :
On 10/04/18 16:55, Jean-Pierre Ledure wrote:
Does this mean that once a .odb file containing an embedded HSQLDB
database is opened in LO 6.1 there is no way back ? That file cannot be
accessed anymore by a LO <= 6.0 user ? Is this acceptable ?
It's normal to update the on-disk format, with the inevitable consequence
that old versions of the program cannot access newer versions of data.

When the database conversion is automatic without a fault back scenario,
then the software has at least to *GUARANTEE* that there will be neither
data loss nor functional loss afterwards.

Well - the "*GUARANTEE*" part sounds ... funny (even comparing with
"guarantee" level offered by paid support from some industry-leading
corporations); but there's a point: I don't know how is it implemented
now, but I see how a user might be concerned when one opens one's DB
with a newer SW and gets a converted data without warnings or backups.
So we should actually provide either one or the other. Id doesn't matter
if one wants "guarantees"; but it does if one gets unexpected
incompatibilities - e.g., one may work with one's data using different
software on different occasions, etc.

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski