Hi Kohei,

On Tue, 2015-06-09 at 21:00 -0400, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
On Wed, 2015-06-03 at 14:33 +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
Having said that writing unit tests is every
developers' responsibility where feasible

So, this "where feasible" is quite often subject to a wide range of
interpretation.

        Right; so - I personally agree we need more tests =) Also that we need
to make it much easier to write new ones - so there is less excuse for
not doing it.

  For some, writing a unit test is often not "feasible"
if a bug fix happens during a busy release cycle because "there is no
time to write a test" even when a fix was technically fully
unit-testable (which BTW I fully disagree).

        So - AFAICS -every- bug-fix is potentially unit-testable - it is just a
matter of the cost to implement that: "stop world, spend months writing
large test infrastructure" etc. ;-) is possible just not really
feasible.

        My yard-stick would be that if writing the unit-test takes longer than
finding & fixing the bug - then we have a problem, and we're going to
struggle to encourage people to do that. No idea if that matches other
people's.

I hope that we can also strive to change the culture amongst developers
in this project and make a unit test a quasi-requirement for every bug

        Indeed :-) I think by far the best way to make that more socially
acceptable is by making it incrementally easier to write the next unit
test.

But I believe what's equally important is to raise awareness on the
importance of writing tests and make it as important as (if not more
important) fixing the bug itself, and promote that mindset.

        Agreed; and I like the idea:

If there is any way track bug fixes without corresponding unit tests and
make that data available in some way, then that to me would be a very
helpful tool to ensure that every bug fix comes with a test to prevent
it from happening again.

        Markus had some interesting scripts for this I think. I'd also like to
prioritize regression bug fixes as needing unit tests - after all we
already messed that up once so it's prolly more likely than elsewhere to
have a future problem.

        I will add: "Produce good data on who did and didn't write unit tests
for fixes" to the infrastructure ideas list - social encouragement is
clearly important.

        Thanks !

                Michael.

--