On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Thorsten Behrens <thb@documentfoundation.org
wrote:

Michael Meeks wrote:
      I'm no expert on the current state here, but my feeling is that
there
are a lot of document / chart layout issues that are a real problem to
regression test.

Curious to hear Moggi's input on that one - what I recall, was that
Chart layout is just too randomly unstable to make that work?

At least in my opinion it is. Fonts are surely one problem but not the only
one. The whole layouting in chart is based on dynamic layouting instead of
manual layouting. So I have never been able to get it stable across more
than my machines and gandalf. I suppose you can increase the number of
systems that support it if you really know what you are doing. However that
requires a lot of changes to how chart calculates its layout.

Or is that something where there is a plan how to fix that, just no
cycles/motivation to do so?

The layout tests work, just on a limited subset of machines. I looked into
the failures when I implemented the layout tests. They are a combination of
font issues, rounding errors, ...

And tangentially - for anything doing layout checks, I'd of course
much prefer something that compares xml layout dumps, rather than
bitmaps. ;)

Of course the current chart layout tests use the XShape xml dump. Actually
I wrote the first version of the layout dump for chart and just reused it
later for impress and draw ;)

Regards,
Markus