On Wed, 2013-04-10 at 09:04 +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
An alternative (for other platforms too) might be to have the various
URE interface libraries (sal etc.) be shallow wrappers that link against
libmerged and just re-export their part (depending on how elegantly
different architectures allow such re-exporting).

        Right - that's a good plan indeed; though I suspect that for Mac+Linux
the symlink idea is rather simpler practically [ not certain that it's
easy to safely re-export the same symbol you're implementing under an
ELF model ].

This is one place where the split into URE and LO directories may become
a nuisance.  (It was rather harmless for other scenarios, even helps
keeping the URE interface well-defined for extensions, so there's never
been much incentive in undoing that.)

        I assume there is ABI impact in unfolding the URE hierarchy out
of /ure/lib etc. if so we'd need to keep it as-is.