On 12/13/2012 04:45 AM, Michael Meeks wrote:

On Thu, 2012-12-13 at 08:51 +0200, Noel Grandin wrote:
IIRC, Cairo also runs on win32, so why not using it instead of gdi+ ?

        We actually shipped a version using the cairo canvas by mistake at some
stage - that caused serious grief because of a (IIRC now fixed) font
rendering nasty.

How is cairo's performance against gdi+ on Windows?  Do you know?

        Any discussion of performance without profiling is just a total waste
of time :-)

I was just looking for some casual anecdotal tales, sort of like what Noel G gave me. Since proper profiling of a drawing framework takes at least a few days (running various benchmarks under various scenarios, and interpreting & writing about the results), I thought a desire to get some anecdotes before getting serious was warranted.

I would put very good money on the poor draw / drawinglayer
performance around rendering large documents being -absolutely-nothing-
to do with either cairo or VCL, and everything to do with dumb
algorithmic stupidities caused by layering, and hidden behind some
otherwise apparently obvious code :-)

So, my interpretation of why Enrico asked about this was more on reducing our own drawing layer in favor of using someone else's, to reduce maintenance, which to me is a reasonable view. And I wanted to ask about the performance aspect of it to see if that move would or would not cause any negative side effort since the performance of the drawing layer is pretty darn important to us in general.

We can push pixels at blinding
speed - but if the real problem is an N^3 in the rendering path in the
number of objects it's not going to help at-all ;-)

        So - where's the profile ?

I would be happy to spend a few days to profile each drawing frameworks if you want me to. But alas, right now I'm soooo loaded with Calc work that I may have to wait a year or so to be able to do that.

 more to the point - where is the
document ? :-) Kohei - I assume this is your nice class diagram /
documentation ?

Yes.

 if so - I'd love to have the canonical version of that
in git / core as a flat odg (flat so revision control is meaningful and
reasonable small). Far too few people know about your good work there
IMHO.

I'd rather not. That document is my personal note. I put that up on my site in the hope that someone finds it useful. But I'm not ready to subject that to multiple people editing it, nor am I looking for increasing its visibility.

Having said that, if someone else wants to take my class diagram and modify it to fit whatever form fits their need & check it into to the core repo, I won't be against it.

Peace,

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc