Hi Noel,

Noel Power píše v Čt 28. 06. 2012 v 13:36 +0100:

I am somewhat stumbling over what would be best to do, change the
underlying vcl class unconditionally ? ( that would imply the uno
controls behaviour also changes unconditionally ) or ... if we change
the underlying vcl class conditionally what about the uno controls?,
should we change them also conditionally? or unconditionally? It would
seem to me if there is some consensus that the 'normal' vcl behaviour is
not that normal but is 'abnormal' then I would be inclined to change the
vcl class unconditionally ( and similarly the behaviour of the dependant
uno controls ) Any thoughts ?
So the behavior sound curious to me; but OTOH nearly sounds as if
somebody did that deliberately.  Do you have pointers to the code where
does the "apply the Align property on the control itself" live?  Any
history that would be of some worth around there?
no like I mentioned earlier in the mail the behaviour is indeed
intentional see
http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/vcl/source/control/button.cxx#3209
However, I just don't understand why it, historically this behaviour
seems to be there for quite a while, the last change around there was
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=d727e1094312e34fedc2bfdb12b43c109a954054
which adds a new logic leg  for checkboxes with images ( which is a
strange concept for me too :-) )

Actually the "for quite a while" spans to
8ab086b6cc054501bfbf7ef6fa509c393691e860, the inital import of
button.cxx to CVS :-( - it has been imported in 2000 with this already
in place.

Looking deeper, I thought that the 'alignment of checkboxes without
text' behavior might make sense for the dialogs like Tools -> Options ->
Load/Save -> Microsoft Office and alike, where you'd want to center the
checkbox; but it seems to me that it is actually SvLBoxButton that is
used there, not CheckBox.

So - can you in any way check if we are actually using this CheckBox
feature anywhere in the UI?  [Ie. if we construct a CheckBox without
text, but with WB_CENTER or WB_RIGHT?]  If we do not use it, I'd get rid
of that [even in UNO controls and everywhere], as you proposed.

Regards,
Kendy