On 02/01/2012 03:16 PM, Caolán McNamara wrote:
On Wed, 2012-02-01 at 09:26 +0100, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
Unless there's someone who screams "but all this should go away in the
next couple months, anyway!" I would therefore go ahead and clean that
code up, ridding it of any tools dependencies (should hopefully not be
too difficult to base it either on sal or even on the plain C++ standard
library).

l10ntools is nearly the only consumer of ByteStrings (including
inheriting from ByteStrings, yippee) left in core, if l10ntools drops
its uses of ByteStrings then ByteString itself can finally go.

Cool. So I'm assured this tedious work is worth it in multiple dimensions...

So, I'd be a fan of a two-stage pass where ByteString gets removed first
and that pushed so we can remove the rest of ByteString while the rest
of the refactoring is going on :-)

My humble attempts at making cfgex tools-free quickly revealed that making large parts of l10ntool ByteString-free is a prerequisite anyway. So I switched plans now to get rid of all of them in the first iteration.

Stephan