On 01/02/12 10:55, Andras Timar wrote:
Hi Stephan,

2012/2/1 Stephan Bergmann <sbergman@redhat.com>:

Unless there's someone who screams "but all this should go away in the next
couple months, anyway!" I would therefore go ahead and clean that code up,
ridding it of any tools dependencies (should hopefully not be too difficult
to base it either on sal or even on the plain C++ standard library).

No, I'm against rewriting them from scratch, because I fear the
regressions, so I don't think they should go away. I support your idea
of refactoring.

actually regressions should be easy to prevent here: just build 2 full
trees with all options, e.g. enable all extensions, help, all languages;
then diff the files produced by the tools.

An alternative might be to re-write those programs in Python (seeing that
there is already one other Python script, po2lo; re-writing in Perl would
*not* be an option, Perl not being a language to write programs in in the
first place).  However, given the nature of those tools' work, regressions
might be hard to spot, so I would like to keep modifications to the code in
bounds.

The nature of these tools, i.e. they manipulate text files, may make
someone think that it would be a good job for a high level scripting
language, but considering the performance and stability of the build,
I would like to keep the current C++ tools, too. I prefer evolution
over revolution. :)

it may well be the case that a from-scratch rewrite takes less time and
results in a faster program than refactoring the existing C++ code with
its decades worth of cruft.  but that is of course pure speculation :)