On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 02:19:21PM +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:

On Mon, 2011-11-28 at 14:23 +0100, Alex Thurgood wrote:

However, I have no idea how you would enter the strings for a remote db
instance, in particular, the parameter separators.

OK, I seem to have figured it out from re-reading libpq
documentation.  The URL field accepts connection strings of pair
KEYWORD=VALUE, so one can enter:

host=10.0.0.1 dbname=mydb

      Gosh - it sounds like an horrific user experience :-)

Yes and no. Obviously from a "general LibreOffice user" POV, that's
horrific, as one needs to learn a db-specific syntax. But from a
"PostgreSQL user" POV, that's really good since that's the standard
syntax across *all* ways to connect to a PostgreSQL database, so
nothing new to learn for LibreOffice.

      Presumably in the star-treck future, having a per-backend UI with
key/value pairs specified that can be presented pleasantly with
descriptions, widgets etc. filled out would be rather nicer.

We actually have that. The UI is already different for different
backends; that's how an ADO connection has a button to launch the
ADO-specific UI (not implemented by LO, but by the ADO dll), and also
look at the UI for a native MySQL connection (that one is implemented
by LO): it nicely asks for database name, server, port or socket. See
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=53965

      Perhaps an easy hack ;-)

Precisely. It *is* a easyhack :) fdo#43369

--
Lionel