Hi Lionel,

On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 12:05 +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
Sure I can: the code being *dual*-licensed means anybody legitly
getting a copy of the code can *choose* between obeying the LGPLv2.1
*OR* obeying the SISSL. I chose LGPLv2.1.

        Seems reasonable on the face of it to me - the header change is fine.
Of course, we have no option of a plus license there which is sad, but
hopefully over time, bit by bit we can incrementally re-write it as a
clean MPL/LGPLv3+ thingit.

I understand you are saying that the SISSL allows us to relicense the
code under MPL/LGPLv3+; I'm not sure I agree. Could you please explain
why you think that is?

        Oh - the SISSL is indeed rather liberal, but ... as you say:

In particular, by (re)distributing the SISSL-covered code under
MPL/LGPLv3+, we allow downstream users to not obey the "standards
body" clause of the SISSL. And we are not allowed to allow others to
not obey that clause of the SISSL.

        License compatibility is a rats nest of horror - which is why people
are trying to reduce the number of bespoke (SISSL-like) licenses out
there in the field. I have no idea if we can sub-license SISSL code as
MPL, but it is an expensive question to ask.

        So - personally, I can understand not wanting to use the
(non-copy-left) SISSL for your work; which leaves only the
LGPLv2.1-only, and an attempt to incrementally re-write that stuff in
future. At least, I think that's a reasonable place to be for now.

I picked bsd because it matches the style that was already there, not
out of any personal taste.

        Heh ;-) I guess we want to move to having the same style everywhere
over time as code is cleaned up, and (presuambly) the style headers help
with that (?) but not a big issue IMHO - particularly if we have an
unusual licensing block in this piece.

        Looking forward to seeing it merged; what remains to be done ?

        All the best,

                Michael.