On 09/26/2011 08:24 PM, Michael Meeks wrote:

On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 17:33 +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
A timed wait is no solution here.  (Timeouts in this kind of code pose
at least two problems.  For one, they prevent a human from coming back
to a hung "make check" after a while, only to find out they no longer
get a clue where it hang, as the build has unhelpfully been forced to
move forward.

        That is of course possible; however in this case the build would simply
fail with an assertion at this exact point. In general, that is probably
better than hanging indefinitely, which can wedge tinderboxes, and give
the impression the build is continuing when it has hung.

Tinderboxes need to handle non-terminating builds, anyway (think a non-terminating, say, idlc), so no need to address non-terminating tests specifically for them.

The real solution, instead, is to not only wait on the Result object,
but also on the OfficeConnection. Fixed  as

        Looks like an improvement to me, thanks for that. I wonder why we only
see this now, surely smoketests have died in mid-flow before ?

Not sure. Maybe it was indeed always the case that cppunittester would hang should soffice.bin crash while in the BASIC smoke test code.

-Stephan