Your patch looks good, have you pushed it?
 - Otherwise please do, my LibreOffice clone isn't up to date at the moment
:(

in case my patch would just hide a deeper problem.

I don't think it hides a deeper problem (except lack of comments :) ), as
far as I remember there're other places where pViewShell->GetEditWindow() is
NULL tested. Also the method explicity returns NULL when the edit window
doesn't exists (I'm guessing either not created yet, or disabled).
 - So I think it's okay.

By the way, nice to see that you're working GSoC again this year.

--
Regards Jonas Finnemann Jensen.