Hi Caolán,

On Mon, 23 May 2011 15:50:40 +0100
Caolán McNamara <caolanm@redhat.com> wrote:

I think we have a three things here
a) broken tinderboxes/build
b) overly noisy list
c) unreviewed patches
Right, sorry to have mixed those.

The needs-X-reviews is a bit tedious alright. Maybe these can be
bumped off into a release list or run through bugzilla or sommat
instead.
I dont think a separate list would work. Some patches would still be
posted to the ML, some not, it would end up as a mess. Something
picking up patches and putting them on bugzie or gerrit could work
though (with the option for people to publish patches there personally).

On this specific topic, the emails from the tinderboxes generally
don't include the actual error where the build broke. That's the no 1
problem IMO with the tinderbox mails, they don't give the actual
error.
This should be an nonissue for most things with gbuild and tail_build.
Unfortunately binfilter currently messes that up quite often.

I'd like to see build-break mails with the error actually
inline in them as a first step.
This may simply be a outcome of parallel builds ? As a quick-fix maybe
having the buildbots auto restart with a single proc build would
resolve that in that case.
Sounds good. Norberts proposal is also good, even if a little bit more
work.
Also, as of now, I might get a nagmail from the tinderbox simply
because I commited to a known broken build, making me feel less
responsible. I still want that mail to go to all commiters since the
last good build. But it would be great to explicitly point out the
commiters and commits to the _first_ build that broke, because they are
most likely guilty.

Is it the case that list-submitted patches are the patches that are
breaking the builds ?. Would be cool to auto commit patches to a
branch and build it and mail results to submitter on failure, but
would only make sense to go to that effort if the bottleneck is a lot
of broken list-submitted patches.
True. I was thinking more along the line of having the "unreviewed"
branch serving primarily as a review queue. Doing a tinderbox builds
over them is just a bonus. Anyway: Having an opportunity to have any
bigger set of patches tinderboxed before they hit master would be a big
win.
An alternative is to do it the other way around: Create a branch
"tinderboxed" that regularly pulls from master up to the state that:
- windows has build and smoke/subsequenttested
- any one unix platform has build and smoke/subsequenttested
- is not known to be broken on any platform
It would provide a good point for rebases and starting branches.

I agree that its definitely good policy that the w/e build "just
work", for myself I tend to avoid making dramatic checkings at 5pm on
a Friday. I'm not a massive fan of a collective sit down and patch
review, sometimes I have an hour or 10 mins to do a review or two,
and sometimes I don't. Setting aside a fixed-schedule block of time
is problematic.
I dont think we should schedule a you-have-to-be-there-date. Maybe we
will just try to have a look around on Monday 15:00 UTC on IRC and
harvest for patches with whoever is there? No oligations etc. Just a
nice informal half an hour of hug-a-patch.

Best,

Bjoern

--
https://launchpad.net/~bjoern-michaelsen