On Sat, 2011-05-21 at 14:02 +0200, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
Hi all,

here is a proposal to improve our handling of patching and commits on
master.
LibreOffice is aiming for a welcoming and inviting culture to aloow
newcomer get invaolved fast. This is why we have a very lax requirement
on commits to master and are inviting people to post patches to the
dev ML too.
However, this has shown to be problematic in many ways:
- Patches and reviews are making the dev-mailing list very noisy.
- Newcomers are distracted by this.
- Oldtimers elude the idea on the mailing list being integrative,
  by filtering out patches (thus having effectively a separate patch
  mailing list).

I think we have a three things here
a) broken tinderboxes/build
b) overly noisy list
c) unreviewed patches

- Patches are hard to keep track of in the mailing list, esp. the
  "needs-how-many-more-reviews" question.

The needs-X-reviews is a bit tedious alright. Maybe these can be bumped
off into a release list or run through bugzilla or sommat instead.

- Response time to "you broke the master"-emails by tinderboxes are way
  too low -- the default assumption seems to be: somebody else broke the
  master.

On this specific topic, the emails from the tinderboxes generally don't
include the actual error where the build broke. That's the no 1 problem
IMO with the tinderbox mails, they don't give the actual error. I'd like
to see build-break mails with the error actually inline in them as a
first step.

This may simply be a outcome of parallel builds ? As a quick-fix maybe
having the buildbots auto restart with a single proc build would resolve
that in that case.

Here is a proposal on how to solve this:
- Create an branch named "unreviewed" branching off from master on
  every Tuesday 00:00 UTC.
- Any submitted patch is pushed to that branch as is without review from
  Tuesday until Saturday, the only condition is a proper license.
  Patches from Sunday and Monday will wait to get pushed on Tuesday.

Is it the case that list-submitted patches are the patches that are
breaking the builds ?. Would be cool to auto commit patches to a branch
and build it and mail results to submitter on failure, but would only
make sense to go to that effort if the bottleneck is a lot of broken
list-submitted patches.

- On Monday, the commits on the "unreviewed" branch are being
  collectively reviewed and discussed on IRC.

Hmm,

Accepted patches are
  cherrypicked to master, results are posted to the mailing list, the
  "unreviewed" branch is deleted. Rejected patches can be fixed an
  resubmitted.

This would:
- Prevent patches to get lost in space on the ML.
- Prevent patches to hang in a "needs one more review" cycle.
- Limit the waiting time for a patch review to maximum one week.
- Patch submitters can be around on IRC at review time and clarify
  questions and receive feedback directly. Otherwise little changes for
  them.
- It is easier to identify and find a domain expert when doing a "group
  review"
- Reduce the noise on the dev mailing list.

- Newcomers can be sure that a Sunday evening checkout of master is
  stable.

I agree that its definitely good policy that the w/e build "just work",
for myself I tend to avoid making dramatic checkings at 5pm on a Friday.
I'm not a massive fan of a collective sit down and patch review,
sometimes I have an hour or 10 mins to do a review or two, and sometimes
I don't. Setting aside a fixed-schedule block of time is problematic.

C.