Hi Xisco,

On Sun, 2011-05-08 at 23:02 +0200, Xisco Faulí wrote:
My task during the GSOC period is going to be the conversion of the
Wizard menus into python.

        Nice :-)

I met Björn Michäelsen last monday and we decided, on broad lines, the
course to follow. First I'll create a basic fax design using pyuno,
then I'll make it customized and finally I'll create the GUI. Once the
fax wizard is done, I'll move on with the other wizards.

        Ooh :-) so - I had always assumed that there is probably a -lot- of
mileage in using an automatic Java -> Python converter. This is because
our Java code uses (primarily) OO.o / UNO APIs that should map to python
quite nicely (perhaps with some converter tweaks). Our UNO / Abstract
Windowing Toolkit ('awt') APIS are used instead of the native Java AWT
eg.

This week I've been studying the java code in order to see what things
do and playing around a bit with Pyuno and the GUI. I've tried to
create some text components and some GUI dialogs. So far it's going
good although I've had problem with a few things I have to take a
deeper look.

        Great :-) My problem was that ooinstall doesn't seem to install the
python scripting extension:

        solver/300/unxlngi6.pro/bin/script-provider-for-python.oxt

        which is deadly annoying ;-) but anyhow; here are some links:

        http://code.google.com/p/j2p/
        http://code.google.com/p/java2python/
        http://debedb.blogspot.com/2007/03/java-to-python-converter.html

        Personally, I would prefer an automated conversion to a manual one: not
only because it should go quicker, but also be more reliable (in theory)
- and hopefully more re-usable for other Java-bits we have.

        But of course Bjoern is your mentor :-) you need to please him.

        ATB,

                Michael.