Hi Peter,

On Sat, 2011-05-07 at 16:14 -0400, Peter Teeson wrote:
<smile of satisfaction>

        Cool ! :-) welcome to the small, and elite band of those with enough
tenacity to actually get a build on anything != Linux :-) hopefully the
more such heros we have, the easier it gets to do[1].

OK Now I have a successful build I would like to work on my original
issue. Using the downloaded 3.2.2 LO I get a reproducile crash on my
regular Mac OS X 10.6.6 system.

        Right - so, we think this is font related; so presumably you have some
fun fonts on one system, but not another. Hopefully this re-assures you
that this is a somewhat less widespread problem (?) :-)

So I hypothesize my regular system is foobar in some way that kills LO
3.2.2.

        I suspect just some magic font oddness.

ATSULayoutGlyphs(TATSUGlyphRecordArray*, ATSLineLayoutLineParams*,
long, ATSUTab const*, unsigned long, __CFString const*, unsigned short
const*, unsigned long, unsigned long) + 197

        So - we have little-to-no control over ATSUI - but somewhere up the
stack is vcl - which (hopefully) is passing something invalid in - that
we can fix there.

        So - you would want to re-build vcl with debug symbols; something like:

        $ source ./OSXFooWhateverThisIs.sh
        $ cd vcl
        $ rm -Rf *.pro # the output directory
        $ build debug=true

        That should give you a set of libvcl* libraries in that *.pro/lib
output directory that will give us a helpful trace, and console logging
too perhaps.

        So - I would copy your install across to t'other machine, drop the new
vcl libraries on top of the old one, and run soffice inside gdb.

        -Hopefully- that gives us some way to poke around at the vcl / ATSUI
interface where the problem (probably) lies.

        Thanks !

                Michael.

[1] - FWIW, when I first started on OO.o [ some time ago ] it took a
-month- of full-time work to get my first successful build, so - it
could be worse ;-)