Hi Sébastien, all!

Am Dienstag, den 19.04.2011, 08:51 +0200 schrieb Sébastien Le Ray:
[... previous mails and topics ...]

We've a 4 sided shadow, should I port it Writer as is or are their
request of improvment? Should I let the color configuration option
for shadow color and use the value under draw or just drop it?

Not an easy answer, so a step-by-step approach ... easy to tough
questions:
[...]

They used a simple bimap. Their approach is more or less the same as
the first implementation I did (when no color configuration was
possible), except they just use one bitmap that they split at
predefined positions instead of having one bitmap per side/corner.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the explanation!

      * The shadow color configuration might be dropped --> At least
if we can find a shadow that works well on most backgrounds (e.g.
        finding an appropriate color, or calculating the shadow based
on the application background color - preferred). That would save
        users a bit effort and help the translation / documentation
        teams as well.

I guess the current impress shadow should be nice on any background
since there is an alpha channel and no area has a full opacity…

From my point-of-view, that would be fine.

      * Anyway, it would be good to have a bit more control how the
        shadow was created, because we might need matching shadows for
        other objects (e.g. Notes, Panes, ...) --> I think, the
        specification we've started is a good basis, so do you think
we can continue with that (see my note below, please). I just need
        to know what graphics we can use to realize good effects at
the document edges (see my last mail).

I can't find the mail about the document corners… I attached you the
bitmap used in impress to draw the shadow.

Ah, perfect! That makes clear how they solved the issue in the mail I've
mentioned (sent on the Design list) - it was about how they get the
naturally "shadowed" edges:
http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/design/msg01571.html

      * A more attractive document background is still desirable -->
can we go with a gradient in the next step?

I think we'll have to test how gradients can be used to get a nice
background. Keeping in mind that current gradient implementation
focuses on performances rather than on quality…

Ah, you mean the internal one that is also used for drawing objects.
Personally, I don't know if the implementation is efficient - I just
noticed some drawing bugs in the past.

As always - thanks in advance :-)

I'll try to quickly implement and push impress shadow to sw so you can
see the result throught the nightlies

Cool! And since we now have the shadow picture, we might even tweak it
without that much issues.

One last thing - I apologize for the quality of some of my mails. I
don't know why, but I tend to reply to your posts at the end of my
(LibO) day ...

Cheers,
Christoph