Hi Sébastien, all!

Am Montag, den 18.04.2011, 22:47 +0200 schrieb Sébastien Le Ray:
Le Sat, 16 Apr 2011 15:08:23 +0200,
Christoph Noack <christoph@dogmatux.com> a écrit :
[...]
Am Samstag, den 16.04.2011, 15:01 +0200 schrieb Sébastien Le Ray:
Le Sat, 16 Apr 2011 14:58:46 +0200,
[...]

@ Sébastien: Would it be possible that you'll have a look how it
is implemented. Any chance that we - as Thomas mentioned - get
this streamlined throughout the applications?

Yes I'm gonna check this out… [...]

I don't think so ... last time we discussed that at OOo, the shadow
improvements were related to Renaissance. And the Renaissance project
explicitly addressed Impress (and Draw, since it is based on the very
same code base). So we may have some further benefit with Writer :-)

I looked at sd code, they've done mostly what I planned to do. As I
previously said, impress/draw and writer code differs on a design point
of view so I cannot reuse it as is.

Okay, so the only chance it to let it look similar.

We've a 4 sided shadow, should I port it Writer as is or are their
request of improvment? Should I let the color configuration option for
shadow color and use the value under draw or just drop it?

Not an easy answer, so a step-by-step approach ... easy to tough
questions:
      * Their shadow looks very good (what I could see in my VM) --> It
        would already be an improvement to "copy" it to Writer (just out
        of curiousity: how did they implement them - masks, bitmaps with
        alpha channel, ...)

      * The shadow color configuration might be dropped --> At least if
        we can find a shadow that works well on most backgrounds (e.g.
        finding an appropriate color, or calculating the shadow based on
        the application background color - preferred). That would save
        users a bit effort and help the translation / documentation
        teams as well.

      * Anyway, it would be good to have a bit more control how the
        shadow was created, because we might need matching shadows for
        other objects (e.g. Notes, Panes, ...) --> I think, the
        specification we've started is a good basis, so do you think we
        can continue with that (see my note below, please). I just need
        to know what graphics we can use to realize good effects at the
        document edges (see my last mail).

      * A more attractive document background is still desirable --> can
        we go with a gradient in the next step?

Note: During the weekend, I've started to redo some of the graphics for
the specification page - but I haven't uploaded them yet. At the moment,
some further (independent) thoughts led to a shadow that's very close to
the Impress one.

Sorry for the many questions / comments - but I'd like to understand
more what's needed and how a solution might look like that's comfortable
(so to say) to implement.

As always - thanks in advance :-)

Cheers,
Christoph