ie. which piece of existing code do we base this on, and where is it ?

Well, the "sellang" custom action is pretty minimal, and is written in very C-like fashion (as it
was I that wrote it, many years ago;). A single entry point: "SelectLanguage" which is called from
msiexec when running the installer. (However, sellang is called early in the installation sequence
to de-select the presumably-unwanted components, while the indexing custom action should be called
pretty late.)

Does the existing indexing code use LibreOffice libraries? In that case it is best to keep it as a
separate program which is always installed, and just have the custom action run it as a separate
process (after putting the required directories into PATH so that the libraries the indexing
program needs will be found).

--tml