On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 4:32 AM, Steve Butler <sebutler@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Michael,

On 29 January 2011 21:45, Steve Butler <sebutler@gmail.com> wrote:

Here's some comparison timings on the above system (measured with
gettimeofday either side of the call in swriter).

Using an INDEX FILE:
US Thesaurus - cold OS cache
2011/01/30 04:21:37.887449: Loaded in 0.097378 seconds.
US Thesaurus - hot OS cache
2011/01/30 04:22:37.338682: Loaded in 0.044813 seconds.

USING NO INDEX FILE:
US Thesaurus - cold OS cache
2011/01/30 10:07:42.186452: Loaded in 0.253337 seconds.
US Thesaurus - hot OS cache
2011/01/30 10:08:01.737888: Loaded in 0.130883 seconds.

As can be seen from these numbers, it is around 3x slower for the US
thesaurus regardless of hot/cold cache.

[...]
Now, assuming anyone thinks this is a good idea and the tradeoff of
initial lookup speed vs installation size is appropriate, I would
appreciate pointers as to how we would go about packaging up such a
change when it is completely isolated to messing about with 3rd party
source.  Naturally if this approach was selected then building the
.idx files and adding them to the language pack zips would need to be
removed.  A further option could be to have it use idx files if they
exist, but fallback to using only the .dat files.

I have only skimmed this thread, so forgive me if i missed the mark but:

why not generate the index at install time ?
that will still achieve the goal of reducing the size of the
installer, without the performance hit at runtime no?

Norbert

Regards,
Steven Butler